How cute are these! What a great idea to make ahead and have ready for the kids or you on Halloween! These cute little Jack-O'-Lantern Stuffed Peppers are filled with a fiesta-inspired mix of spices, ground turkey, and black beans. These can definitely be made vegetarian or vegan!
Prep and cooking takes about an hour!
Servings 4 servings, 1 bell pepper each
* 4 medium orange bell peppers
* 2 tsp. olive oil
* 1 lb. raw 93% lean ground turkey
* ½ medium onion chopped
* 1 clove garlic finely chopped
* 1 Tbsp. chili powder
* ½ tsp. ground cumin
* Ground black pepper to taste; optional
* 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce, no sugar added
* 1 cup black beans drained, rinsed
* 1 cup cooked brown rice
* ¼ cup water
* ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1. Slice stem end off peppers. (Reserve for later use.) Remove seeds and veins from peppers. Cut a jack-o- lantern face out of one side of each pepper. Stand peppers upright in baking dish. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 400º F.
3. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add turkey; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until almost browned.
5. Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
6. Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
7. Add chili powder, cumin, pepper (if desired), tomato sauce, and beans; cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
8. Add rice; mix well.
9. Fill peppers with turkey mixture. Top with reserved stem end of peppers Add water to the baking dish. Cover with foil.
10. Bake peppers for 12 to 15 minutes, or until tender-crisp.
11. Remove stem top of peppers, sprinkle evenly with cheese. Bake for 2 to 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
12. Replace tops and serve.